Old 04-03-24, 03:51 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I was going to call this project - and thread - "done" until a dormant project popped up that doesn't (yet) warrant a thread, but is closely related:

About a year (?) ago, I acquired a rough, incomplete 1936 Sports Tourist frameset from @nlerner - I think it was some sort of a trade on a whim. Don't recall. It's been sitting around in a lineup with a bunch of other old Raleighs in the shed.

Like the Humber Cob Tourist, this one has slack angles intended for flat-foot stops. This one differs, however, in that it is a brazed-stay frame, not a bolt-on stay design like the Humber - something that might trip up a casual enthusiast that hasn't seen one of these early beasts.

It so happened that a chaincase popped up on eBay that looked right... and - surprise - I won the thing. The following picture is a mock-up, as I was stupid enough to sell off the last chaincase hardware I had with the chaincase, but it looks promising.

The rear wheel is one of the two off the 1953 Superbe Sports Tourist parts bike. I might be on my way to piecing this '36 into something reasonably authentic-looking, if not strictly accurate.

The rims are not great, but they clean up a far sight better than one might guess. Can't do this with '70s Raleigh rims.

This frame has a weird black paint job over the original finish. Can't put my finger on it, but it peels off in an odd way. Should come off with enough elbow grease.

The whole reason to own a '36:

-Kurt
That's the right headset! The tricky bits will be a proper type K hub and the stem. Actually the handlebars have a different bend to them as well. The brake levers will have the word 'Patent' engraved in them but newer brake levers will work well enough.
Likes For Salubrious: