Old 04-04-24, 06:07 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr
The 6603 FD rear cage is too tall and runs into the middle ring if the outer cage is set correctly for the big ring.

I saw a link to the 5mm allen trick but the link was broken. Where is the allen positioned? I am assuming that this has something to do with the swing position and not the vertical height on the seat tube. Would the orange gauge block be relevant with this oddball ring setup?
The 5mm Allen key is positioned between the parallelogram arms when they are pressed outward against the spring to make a sufficient opening for it. Then you can tighten all the slack out of the cable while the triple shifter is in the lowest position. Then you can test the indexing and trim stops as you pedal and shift into the middle, big chainrings and back down. Hopefully whatever ramps are on your chainring set will speed the upshifts and downshifts without too much drama. I have learned on my 7803 Dura Ace triple crank bike that I shift with a 6603 Ultegra front derailleur and Dura Ace 7703 front indexing shifter - to shift early, and to try to give the shift a full 360 degrees of rotation under reduced pressure before really laying the power down. Generally all this works but indexed triples I think are naturally a bit tricky. I wax my chains and for some reason my downshift from the middle 39 chainring to the 30 tooth granny pops so strongly that my waxed chain doesn’t flex sufficiently (sometimes) so I will drop the chain at the base of a hill. More embarrassing than anything if on a group ride.