Old 04-05-24, 07:58 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Liked 620 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
... No reason to do them any harm...
I agree they are not really a problem for cycling. We have tried this on our property but have all but given up on our property. We lived for over 40 years out in the desert area near Tucson. We have snake tongs and a trash can and can some times relocate, but the issue is where to relocate, it feels like endangering others. We have had 6 dogs bitten over the years and the last a few years ago now were $2,500 each in emergency vet costs. They are cold blooded so like the heat and in the evening they head for an asphalt road or your porches, etc. that hold the heat, so stepping outside must be done carefully. On my typical 20 mile ride in the warm months I see them squished on the road every ride with the ravens, buzzards, etc. chowing down. I wish the locals would not run over the good snakes, especially the black racers, coachwhips and kingsnakes which will eat the smaller rattlers. Rattle snakes are far from a threatened species in the desert Southwest and the 6 to 9 we take out every year have no impact on the populations.