View Single Post
Old 04-06-24, 10:32 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...not me. I'm still astonished to realize that all the guys pushing modern technological improvements, driven by the desire for increased speed and performance, are actually riding stuff that has been intentionally detuned, for comfort. And using those "improvements", and the research costs behind them, as a rationale for expensive top end toys. I'm here to learn.

I'm happy you're "faster" thanks to disposable income, if "In many cycling "events," faster is by definition "better." All of us want to be our best version of self.
Yeah, sure you are.

But if you were keen to learn then you should know that some bikes are optimised for different parameters. Endurance bikes are generally a little more comfortable than aero optimised race bikes. For ordinary amateur riders like myself, this tends to make them actually faster on longer events where fatigue is a key factor, especially on rougher roads. A pro rider might still be faster on an aero race bike, but I’m a 56 year old amateur so I value a little more comfort. My bike is still pretty quick though. It’s all relative.