Old 04-06-24, 09:41 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
For me it depends on what is more valuable, a bike that stops quickly, or one that climbs well. (Yeah, I know, one could save your life.). I have two carbon bikes with different setups. The Orbea has Ultegra rim brakes and aluminum rims with tubed GP5Ks. Even with Ultegra pads stopping is typical of rim brakes which is to say it’s meh. However, the Orbea is lighter with the rim brakes and man can that bike accelerate and climb. The Bianchi has aero carbon rims, is tubeless and Ultegra discs. The bike can stop on a dime but is slow to accelerate and is not ideal for climbing.

I spend far more time climbing than braking and that is where the scale tips. Sure I love a fast braking bike, but on a long climb, the lighter rim braked bike wins. If I could own a light disc braked bike, then it would be an ideal combination. I know they exist at stratospheric prices, so will have to weight 😆 until the prices come down. Call me a Luddite or Boomer or Retro Grouch but I know what works for me.
Actually just sell both of the bikes and pick up a Specialized Aethos and get the best of both worlds.