Old 04-07-24, 06:43 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,134 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Since @noglider pointed out elsewhere that the NYC weather will be quite fair this week I hauled my International upstairs to give it a once-over. I decided it was time to figure out why I could never get the headset adjusted properly - it’s been this way since I built it the winter prior to the pandemic.

Exhibit A. This was wrapped around the bottom beating cage when I pulled the fork. It’s a Tange headset, some kind of seal? I tried it without and it wasn’t right so out came the headset tools and I installed a nice Shimano something or other from my bin. In the process I mislaid the bearing cage for the top cup but I had a bunch of looseies in the right size and it went together smoothly.
I had this problem with Superbe Pro headset on my Cannondale. I was so bummed that it was clunky and then I found a bunged up seal. I figured that there was no way I’d find a Superbe Pro seal so I straightened it out the best I could and tried to ignore the bits that were missing — put it all back together and it’s all good. 😊