Old 04-09-24, 07:59 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 113 Posts
Just wanted to add that weight per se is not much of a problem in the context of bike touring. OTOH, there's a qualitative difference between the standard 4-pannier, the compact 2 (front) panniers and the near anorexic UL packing systems.

I started with a typical 4-pannier setup. OK once under way, but considerable inertia. Was happier with the 2 (front) pannier system. Much better handling. Much much easier to travel to/from trail heads (flights, trains, etc.). And moving to an UL/UC (Ultra Compact) setup has been a revelation. Climbing a flight of stairs (think train station, subway, etc.) is an ordeal with a 4-pannier system (2 round + 1 trips), easier with a 2-pannier system (1 round + 1 trips) and easy as pie with an UL configuration. Now I can take my bike over a fence in one fell swoop, or scale stairs at the front of a train station without having to worry about stolen luggage.

Downsizing is relatively expensive (lighter/smaller tents are 3+ times the price of entry-level, same for sleeping bag/pad) and "time consuming" as I've tried different systems (cooking for example), back and forth, never quite certain which is best. Same for clothing. It can also become near obsessive (saving a few grams by replacing standard hex bits with a 4-in-one; using the same handle for fork, spoon, toothbrush and razor; playing with various clothing items to come up with the most compact and flexible layering system.)

To try to answer your question more directly, my bike is a heavy steel LHT (15kg including the rack) + 10kg for luggage, including bags. Difficult to quote a figure for food and water, that are highly dependent on the resupply options. I tend to carry 3 meals + 2L of water at all times, So perhaps 3kg total

Last edited by gauvins; 04-09-24 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For gauvins: