Old 04-09-24, 12:50 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 1,933 Posts
Apparently I can still bunny hop - Peugeot City Express Shakedown Run

Just swapped the wheels on one of my Peugeot ATB's. Decided to take it out to run some errands, to see how everything was working. My store trips are always a bit more "adventurous" than just going for a ride. I have to go on roads and intersections I would normally avoid, if given the choice. Everything started as usual, bike lane for first part of the trip, adjacent curbside parking gets crowded as I enter town. I always keep to the outside of the bike lane and keep my eyes peeled, but this ride was a bit, extra. I had at least 20 people open their door in front of me in a span of 4-5 blocks, I had to just laugh, about a 50/50 split between folks getting into and out of there cars, almost all made eye contact before opening the door! I get through that area, to a section where there are now no cars parked along the bike lane, so clear sailing? Felt a rumble and a breeze as a Garbage truck passes me, by inches, while making a hard cut into the bike lane I am occupying, instantly decelerating in front of me to make a right turn. Rocks and sand kicked up at me and I was being pinched between the truck and the sidewalk, I had no where to go (forward) and no chance of stopping before hitting the side of the truck. Instinct took over and (much to my surprise) I leaned to the right and bunny hopped the curb, onto the sidewalk, to safety.

Bunny Hop machine