View Single Post
Old 04-10-24, 05:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I’m not sure what all these assumptions are that you’re suggesting I made, but my use of the word “seems” was meant convey uncertainty about my view. If I did make a presumption, it was that the comparatively large Stomp might deliver best-in-class volume and pumping speed.

I went and took a look for some comps, but it has been awhile since anyone tested on the 26x2.1 tire size you reference, but Velo recently tested a bunch of High-volume mountain and gravel pumps with a 650x47mm (27.5×1.9in) Panaracer GravelKing tyre (and tube) on a Hunt Adventure Carbon rim (24mm inner width) – inflated to 35psi as an average pressure for gravel tyres. The same wheel setup was also measured at 30psi for the mountain bike-specific test.

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...ike-45-tested/

There’s about 4L volume difference between yours and the tire size Velo tested, but adjusting for that (by figuring out the Stomp’s displacement based on number of stomps for tire size and pressure and backing down 4L worth from strokes), it doesn’t appear to outperform the best minis, which is kind of surprising to me.

It’s a nice option to have, particularly for folks with difficulty operating hand pumps. Mini electrics, like Fumpa, would appear to pump faster, too, but are obviously not suited for all use cases; having to remember to recharge my pump is pretty unappealing to me!

In any case, I certainly prefer the mini hand pump myself, but did want to understand the benefits of the Stomp pump, the greatest of which is that it’s foot actuated.
I am clueless about the Stomp Pump and choose to remain that way. But I have a decades old foot pump similar to the one sold by Target that I linked to in post number 3 above. I have used that foot pump on the bike that is permanently on my indoor trainer, and I agree with Rick, foot muscles are easier to use than hand and arm muscles when pumping up a tire. Foot pump was much faster and easier.

But I do not bring that foot pump on tours, too heavy and big. For that I bring a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive or the Road Morph G.

My heavy touring bike is a S&S coupled bike, I have to disassemble the bike to fit it into a case for airline transport. The tires are 57mm wide. I have to deflate the tires to pack the bike into the case, the tires inflated are way too big to pack the bike in that size case. And I can assure you that the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive (high volume) pump takes a LONG time to pump up both 57mm tires after I assemble the bike at my destination, touring with a heavy load I run 45 psi in rear, 35 psi in front.

On a tour, I do not use a pump very often, so I continue to use the pumps I have been using, when stored they have a better size and shape for my purposes. But when I make that choice, I am fully aware that it will cost me some time to pump up my tires when I start my tour. Just two days ago I posted a photo of my heavy touring bike, it is at this link if you are curious, you can see the Lezyne pump attached to the seat tube on the frame. Fortunately on that tour I never had a flat, so was only occasionally topping up the tire pressures for a few minutes after the initial fill.
https://www.bikeforums.net/23208352-post9.html