Old 04-10-24, 07:12 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 222 Posts
Moved to Greenville, SC. Follow-up report on cycling road conditions.

Follow-up to a previous post from roughly 10 months ago. (Original Thread)

I just moved to Greenville, SC from New Orleans, LA. From a city that is virtually 100% bike-able on roadways to a city that is nearly impossible to ride (and survive) on roadways. After three weeks here under the most beautiful weather, 10 months of studying Strava Heat Maps of Greenville area, and countless hours on Google Earth, now I have actual "boots" on the ground and it is far worst than I expected. There are nearly ZERO recreational cyclists here outside of some beautiful Rail-Trails which, sadly, concentrates every person who rides bikes. Two reasons for this:

1: Super busy, narrow, hilly, blind curves roadways with every kind of wide truck and trailer and auto. Everybody speeds. There is not one inch to spare on any paved surface. I've toured across the USA 5 times so I am not shrinking violet on roadways. It's bad.

2: Nothing is flat. Nothing. Maybe some parking lots, and the inside of my house. It is easy to find 8% grades, 6-7% at all times. Most "average" cyclists cannot ride that. I see a few ppl in "lesser-than" neighborhoods pushing their bikes but not many. At least they aren't walking down the hills as well, right?

There is a small number of pro, ex-pro, and wanna-be pro roadies riding country roads around here. Almost never a lone rider. Groups have more of a "presence" so I get that. And those riders are doing 20+ mph average so they aren't exposed as long as someone averaging 7-10 and pushing bikes up hills. I've been exclusively riding my Surly Lowside 1x1 and have not pushed up a hill yet, but many hills have maxed me out. One in particular I had to stop and let my heart-rate relax a bit. Beach cruisers and "grandma" bikes, Townies, etc and people who never get their butts off the saddle have no hope of getting 1/4 mile down any road. This is why the Rail-Trails are PACKED at peak times and good weather.

The good news for me: There are several beautiful Rail-Trails to hit off hours. Many, many off road trails in and very near the city. Sadly, I am relegated to DRIVING my bike(s) somewhere to ride them. After 30 years car-free NOLA, this is quite an adjustment for me. Thankfully my development has about 5 miles of roads in the development with no traffic (just local) and great training for these hills. I leave my driveway and immediately go up 7% grade for 1/2 mile! It still beats my smart trainer in the house. The trails here are beautiful! This place does not get hurricanes!

Sometimes "Bike Safety" involves a decision to NOT ride in certain places. Even the pro riders who train here limit their routes to a network of cow pastures - old farm to market roads, and mountainous state parks at off hours. I shall follow their lead NOT cycling most of the roadways here. My road bike days are in the past so I will not be joining them, even if I could keep up.

Rock On everybody! Keep the rubber side down. I survived the mean streets of New Orleans. Many here thought I wouldn't. Time to hit some trails and try not to break my neck doing that! Or die in a car crash driving to the danged trails.

"Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD" - Me.

UPDATE 5-26-2024:

Source: US News and World Report

And there is the proof.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 05-26-24 at 08:18 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike: