View Single Post
Old 04-11-24, 08:11 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
In my early 20s, I'd sometimes ride 19 miles to work. 90 minutes uphill in the morning. 60 downhill in the evening. I only did this once or twice a week at most though.

For the distance you've got, I'd consider an ebike. You'd still get a workout but the motor will really come in handy on those days when you're not at your best or otherwise disinclined to ride that day.
↑ This, for the win.

I did a similar commute once. It was 27 miles one way. I was a technician at that time, on my feet all day for work. When I got to work I was energized from the commute, and after the endorphins wore off, I was just exhausted. I was not a "cyclist" at that time, though I was in my 20s and in overall good shape. If I had kept doing it, it would've gotten easier as I got fitter, but at the end of the day, I would still have zero energy left.

I decided on a multi-modal commute. Like another poster, it was in the outlying Chicago suburbs and I found a commuter rail train that would do the bulk of it, leaving me with a 1.5 mile commute on the home end and a 1 mile commute on the work end. It worked out swimmingly. I even got to take a nap on the train on the way home on the Quiet Car.

If you don't have an option for a multi-modal commute, eBike is The Way to Go. Don't be afraid to spend real money; remember that this will largely replace a car and even an expensive one will quickly pay for itself in not only gas savings, but also wear & tear. Something like an Aventon Level 2 with full fenders, lights and a rack for a trunk bag or panniers. Or something with a belt drive and internal geared hub will even remove chain & derailleur maintenance. Get something with big enough tires to accommodate FlatOut so you're not dealing with flats all the time. Not fat tires though, unless you plan to ride in significant snow; they don't roll efficiently enough.

Even in Canada's winters*, you will find the commute is doable much of the time. With flat pedals, you can wear regular winter clothes; just don't wear too much jacket. You'll start to sweat quicker than you might think. Boots & mittens will be most important, along with overpants. A 50 mile commute will require you to be careful with the power or charge at work. I'd recommend the latter and just use the battery between the 20-80% state of charge, for maximum battery life.

* depending on where in Canada, of course. I'm in SE Wisconsin, which is similar to a Toronto climate.