View Single Post
Old 04-11-24, 11:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4860 Post(s)
Liked 4,005 Times in 2,601 Posts
Speed wobbles. 13ollocks describes them well. It is an oscillation caused by a driving force (that can be as simple as road vibration) and a system (Bike, wheels and rider) with a resonance of the same frequency (or harmonic of it). And it can vary from a minor scare to terrifying and high speed crash causing.

The cause is usually a combination of a particular bike and a particular rider. Sometimes simple changes are a permanent fix. Two things a rider should be aware of, one as a frequent cause of the wobbles and the other, usually a quick fix - the death grip on the handlebars; back off! Firm but NOT rigid! And the preventative/quick fix; place your knee on the top tube. That usually has a very large damping effect on the wobble.

I have one bike with the issue. Sadly my best custom that fits and rides like a dream. Recently I did a fast descent that while not absurdly fast, I have had to back off for the wobbles on the past. Tried lifting my butt a little off the seat with my legs a little more tensed, hands firmly in the drops with real weight on them and the bike stayed quiet. Haven't yet gone to the really fast hills trying that but I see that experience as encouraging.
Likes For 79pmooney: