View Single Post
Old 04-12-24, 08:24 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked 3,477 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
...The front derailleur is still Suntour Vx one. One of the adjusting screws in Cyclone FD I have is well stuck. Which is a shame, because the derailleur otherwise looks quite nice. I will try to drill that screw out over the next few days, so hopefully I'll be able to put it on the bicycle soon. Or just get another one....
I just went through this with a Superbe front derailleur that I've been using for 30 years.
I applied penetrating oil, applied a bit of tapping via a screwdriver (to try to break the screw loose), and repeated this a few times. No success.
I then tried soaking the derailleur in penetrating oil for days. This probably helped, but I still couldn't budge the screw.
Then I tried applying hot air to the derailleur body, with the hopes of causing the aluminum body to expand more than the steel screw. That did finally get the screw to move!

The hot air came from a "hot air rework station"... which is designed to generate air hot enough to melt electronics solder. It was hot enough to make the penetrating oil start to smoke!
I'm not sure what other tools can be used to generate this sort of heat, but it can be helpful in this sort of situation.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: