View Single Post
Old 04-12-24, 09:54 AM
pelirary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
I don't think I have posted here before, despite turning 75 a couple of weeks ago. I fast skimmed through the posts to see what older folks are riding and was surprised to see mostly road bikes in the photos. I am thinking of switching from a road bike with a relaxed geometry to a hybrid or comfort bike for a more upright position. Everyone likes to go fast and long but for me long is more important than fast and by long, at this age I mean 10 to 20 miles a day 5 or 6 days a week, but not fast. I am wondering if many older folks are riding hybrids or comfort bikes for rides over a few miles. Is it too difficult to go 10+ miles on a more relaxed bike?
In 1997 I bought my Trek 1220 and rode that for twenty six years. it is nowhere near an upright ride but I was fitted for the bike by a professional at a bike shop so really didn't question whether there might be a more relaxed option. Of course in 1997 I was forty nine years old. Last July I decided to buy a new bike, something I should have done years ago. I purchased a Trek Domane AL 5. It is still a road bike but there are a few things that are different and immediately noticeable. The geometry is the first thing I noticed. Compared to the 1220, this frame almost forced e into a more upright position, with the distance from the handlebars to the seat considerably shorter. And believe me this is noticeable when I hop on the 1220 which is set on the trainer for indoor riding. In addition the tires are wider. They come with a 700 x 32 tire which has less pressure and a softer ride. On my first ride I noticed the smoother ride. Of course going from a 1997 to a 2023 bike there had to be differences, but still the AL 5 is very comfortable, and I can be comfortable semi upright with my hands on the hoods. My rides are usually between 18 and 25 so I haven't really done any long rides over thirty. But I don't think that should matter.