Old 04-12-24, 03:19 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2649 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I am aiming to ride the Natchez Trace perhaps this summer. Approximately 465 miles. Trying to determine how much time to budget with the necessary rest days at my age of 71.
1) As the other Tourist noted, the Trace gets hillier as you go into Tennessee. How far do you think you can ride with 2-3 miles of 5-6% climbing every 10 miles? Cross-reference that with other resources on housing/lodging/camping -- you may have some longer days. Grades and climbs drop as you go south in Mississippi.

2) As for rest days, I think the only place close to the Trace in Tennessee is Hohenwald. IIRC it has a post office and church named for the place, so it's a town by my daughter's bike touring definition of a town. Everything else is 5-10 miles off route. So enjoy some time off in Cherokee, AL, and prepare to memorize the signs in the campgrounds if you need a day off between Cherokee and Nashville.

3) Despite the rain and winds, this is the beginning of the spring optimal riding season IMHO. From now through mid-May temperatures are reasonable and comfortable, at least compared to July and August. After mid-may, I'd wait until mid to late September for another 6 weeks or so of comparatively good weather.

Originally Posted by spinconn
Please tell me what prompt treatment you use for saddle sores that gets you ready the next day.
Bath or shower (preferred) ASAP after getting off the bike for the day, then clean clothes. Bag Balm is my treatment of choice after cleaning for acute pimples (about to, or already, burst); some people use diaper rash ointment. If the skin is just red and/or swollen, chamois cream before dressing the next day. Shorts never worn twice without washing.