SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by pelirary
Going to be 76 next week. In my mind I am in my forties, but my body refuses to agree. On and off I have had issues with different joints giving me trouble, but most have either resolved themselves or have been remedied with some PT. But the arthritis is something that causes some soreness while riding. Both neck and back have plagued me for years, but it doesn't stop me from riding. The one thing that keeps reminding me that I am old is that my mileage is down from years ago. A century is something I would never even consider now. Metric century perhaps. This summer I plan on doing a forty mile ride. Not much for many, but I rarely do a thirty, with most rides begin between eighteen and twenty five. Another thing is the avg mph of my rides. For years, on club rides I would average between 14 and 14.5, with an occasional 15 when the leader would really push it. Now my average is thirteen. Maybe it is because I only ride solo now, but maybe not. Hard to come to terms that I can't ride as long or as fast as I used to.
We're close to the same age. I got conned into helping a friend move and didn't ride for 4 days (Sunday thru Wednesday). I missed being on the bike. I normally avg 25 miles/day 6 days/week. I got on it yesterday and immediately thought about turning around and going home. I was short winded, my speed was way off, and my mojo was non-existent. So I forced myself to do a little over 30 miles and will ride the same route again tomorrow just to prove to myself (hell, I don't know) maybe that I'm not a quitter. I don't know how much longer I'll be riding, but I do know one thing-Riding has kept me healthy and sane. I can't quit now and I hope you aren't considering quitting either. We'd both regret it I'm sure.