View Single Post
Old 04-13-24, 06:06 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 2,098 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Can't agree enough with the above. I feel sorry for people who were close enough to get into the zone but chose not to. Totality is a totally different experience from the partial eclipse, which is boring by comparison.

Saw the 2017 eclipse in Central Oregon and we knew we wanted to see the next one. My brother in law lives in the Dallas area so we immediately told him to expect visitors in 24. We were in Flower Mound and we were really worried that it would be obscured by clouds. During the partial phase, clouds were sporadically blocking the sun but just before totality, it cleared up and was amazing.

Won't be another total eclipse in the US for a long time but we're considering Majorca in 26 or Australia in 28. The 27 eclipse will have 6+ minutes of totality over Luxor Egypt with almost 0 chance of cloudcover. Some excursions for that are already sold out.

OK ... I feel stupid for asking this, but how is it that a total eclipse can happen near the poles? I would have thought it to be pretty much limited to areas not much further than the Tropic of Capricon and Tropic of Cancer?