View Single Post
Old 04-14-24, 04:43 AM
robcor2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cheap Walmart bike upgrade list

Hi everyone, not a newbie here, but it's been so long, I feel new. Let's say born again rider. Really glad to be back on bike after cancer and other health issues. I currently own a early 2000s Jamis converted to LHT setup, and a 1987 Fuji Roubaix.

This bike is a recent model Kent Ridgeland Single speed.

https://kent.bike/products/kent-ridgeland

I bought this bike as a package with a helmet, lock, and car rack for $100. I needed the other things so the bike was in essence, FREE!! I love being frugal. This bike will serve as a loaner for out of town guests, my back-up at 6am when I notice a flat tire on my Roubaix, and eventually my commuter (6 miles RT flat) during rain. I'm in PNW.

I'm aware of it's cheap and heavy parts, and although weight is not the primary issue, is important. I hope to upgrade this bike over time to be unique, durable and easy to maintain.

​​​​​​A problem I noticed right away was break squeal. The bike has only been ridden a couple times. Cheap painted rims?

I bought some cheap plastic fenders to go on it in addition to a more comfy seat, yet to arrive, as well as Zinn book on maintenance.

I hope to be able to buy all parts either used (off marketplace) or new off Amazon. I would like to incrementally start with most important items first that will increase durability. Over time there really is no set limit on budget because maintenance is neverending, but don't mind spending 100 here or there when needed.

I'm looking for
ideas where to start and order of thigs
Ideas WHICH parts are good deals and where to obtain
Eventually, how to do certain projects that I currently don't

Can this bike be upgraded in the rear to accommodate gears? If so, best option?
I am not set up to be able to true wheels, so I imagine I'll need wheels soon ish that are indestructo.

Thanks for any help.