Old 04-14-24, 06:33 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
As I said in both related threads, it's a GREAT training ground for Pro cyclists. If I could hold 25+ mph averages in terrain full of 6-10% grades (I follow some local pros on Strava) I might venture out onto narrow 35-45 mph roads with terrible sight lines also. I would be delighted to average 15 mph. Big difference in how many vehicles would overtake me vs. pro riders. Worst part for me would be cycling UP long, steep grades at walking speed. Sure I could do that. Might as well just snap a lawn chair out on the fog line and make my peace with God.

How many pro riders who live in Greenville actually grew up in Greenville? I bet a paycheck that number is ZERO, because as children they could never ride anywhere here.
I’m far from a pro cyclist, and have thoroughly enjoyed riding around the upstate SC area. Never felt particularly unsafe there, other than the time I inadvertently got on US 25, and the shoulder I was riding ended. Doing organized rides in SC, I can tell you that thousands of people ride who are far from pro cyclists.

i think the OP’s perspective of cycling in Greenville is much different than many in the cycling community. There’s a good article in the Greenville Journal August 27, 2020 about Greenville”s cycling culture, improvements to bike infrastructure, and cyclists coming to Greenville as tourists and relocating there.

For some reason I can’t post links from my IPad, but simply google Greenville cycling Mecca, nd it definitely appears that the OP’s opinion is not shared my the majority of cyclists.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-14-24 at 07:09 AM.