Old 04-14-24, 01:28 PM
ImagineZH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Advice when buying a second hand steel frame?

I want to get an old steel frame and use it as a base to build my own bike. I know it's more expensive this way, but it seems like a nice project, I'll learn a lot about bikes, and I'll then have a second bike for short trips around the town. My current bike is a touring bike (Fuji disc) which in reality is nearly perfect for what I do (i.e. commuting, bike touring, etc.). I don't need a very light and fast road bike, so in reality I don't need this new frame, but I once had an old steel frame racer that I loved which unfortunately died, so I'm always tempted to fill that hole in my heart. The purpose of this new frame would be for shorter trips down to the lake or to town, meeting friends, etc. where I might have a small bag on my back and don't need the pannier rack, mudguards, and general heavy duty nature of my touring bike. I live in a hilly spot so a single speed wouldn't cut it.

The thing is, I'm not sure what to look out for in a suitable steel frame? I know the obvious things - it should be the right frame size, no rust, etc. But beyond that and into thread size, style, etc. I start to get lost. So how to know if it's good enough quality generally? Thanks!

e.g. of a few potential frames:

TIGRA Professionnel Reynolds 531 Frame Rennvelo Stahl Rahmen | Kaufen auf Ricardo

Vintage Reynolds 531 Campagnolo Rennvelo Rahmen TOPZUSTAND | Kaufen auf Ricardo

Stahlrahmen Columbus, size56 | Kaufen auf Ricardo