View Single Post
Old 04-14-24, 06:28 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
I've been fighting it but it finally happened. My doctor has finally perscribe metformin to me. I'll be 59 this year. I'm 6 ft and currently at about 240 lbs, fully clothed. I've been active with walking and short rides.
I've probably put on 20-25 pounds in the past few years but I did have cervical spinal fusion, C4-C7, Dec. 2022 which set me back. The two prior years dealing with two different neurologist.
My last few bloodwork tests has shown my glucose to be slowly elevating over 100. My last fasting test was 130.
My A1C has been on the edge of mid 6's for the past few years. It was 6.6 this time so hence the 500 mg dose of metformin.
I hope I don't suffer any side effects. I plan a more dedicated exercise regime which should equate some some weight loss.
How many here have type 2 or take metformin? Your experiences?
My PRESCRIBED Metformin (2015 May) was part of a Prostate Cancer Treatment Protocol and NOT FOR TYPE 2. I was taking 1,700mg/day without issue but many suffer Side Effects on lower dosage and that's why there is ER(Extended Release)

1st thing is to read up about side effects. Can be nasty and some just have to discontinue use.
2nd -
due to the functioning process you might have less energy reserves affecting longer duration exercise.
3rd - I chose to discontinue Metformin and replace with Enzymedica Berberine Phytosome - Natural plant based

Good Luck
Likes For OldTryGuy: