View Single Post
Old 04-16-24, 04:48 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 3,146 Times in 1,791 Posts
The second photo shows a suspiciously steep (or shallow, depending on how you describe it) angle between the down tube and head tube at the lower head tube lug. I hope it's photo distortion or something about where the camera was held for the photo.

The weird pattern of flaking in the paint on the head tube (never saw that before) might have resulted from a very sudden shock transmitted through the fork from a frontal impact. (Or maybe a previous owner carried a coiled lock on the handlebar that continually scraped that spot.)

One quick test: measure the diameter of the down tube near the head tube both vertically and horizontally. If there's a tube section where the horizontal diameter of the tube is greater than the vertical diameter, that would indicate a bend in the tube resulting from the frontal impact.

Maybe start another thread in Framebuilders and provide separate closeup photos of the junctions of the top and bottom head lugs with the top and down tubes, holding the camera level with each lug.

Edit: could also be that the bent-back fork crown angle is throwing me off on judging the down tube/head tube junction. I hope so.

Last edited by Trakhak; 04-16-24 at 04:54 PM.