Old 04-16-24, 06:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 470 Posts
Advantages of Different Seatstay Designs on CF Road Race Bikes?

Hi All !
I'm in the evaluation of buying or building a 'new/modern' bike (meaning adding/moving to a Disc Brake, possibly E-shift roadie, carbon). My Most Modern roadie is a 2015 Spec Tarmac w/rim brakes and mech/cable braking.
SO I'm doing my usual, over-analyzing everything. In particular the frame designs available. Seems 'Aero' is still a major thing (understandably). But extreme aero for mass start road racing is being modified. Spec 'Venge' is already passé' but 'less weight' is still the Golden Fleece.
so the two things which seems to vary significantly in frame design are toptube shape & SLOPE; and Seat Stay config.
I can see that most designs have gone away from sharp TT slope (prolly an aero consideration).
But I do see quite some variety in Seatstay design and attachment. Old standard Long Seat Stays attached at the toptube/seatpost cluster, variation of that with a 'wishbone' stay which varies from at the TT attachment point or varying points lower on the Seattube, and then what was dominant a season or 2 back - dropped stays attached directly to the seattube some significant distance below the TT. Here's a pic from Cycling Weekly (their copyright), showing a variety of these designs.

World Tour Bikes - Image copyright Cycling Weekly

So, anyone have knowledge or opinion on the advantages/disadvantages of any of these possible variations - Why?
CF construction appears very flexible, so likely any of these have no real construction issues...
Your own preferences ? Why?
again the consideration is 'road' group riding, not TT, not gravel, not bikepackingg/touring...
love to hear what you all think.
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 04-16-24 at 06:43 PM.