View Single Post
Old 04-17-24, 01:01 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Perhaps some day I'll understand why people go to a medical professional, someone with 5-12 years of specialized training, for medical care. Then when they get home, they get online and splash, "Why don't I want to do what the doctor ordered?" all over the internet, rather than ask the doctor, "What are the potential side effects?" or "What alternative treatment(s) is (are) available?" There are plenty of authoritative lists of side effects for every drug available on line, or some very informative (if densely written, in small print) Patient Package Inserts that my pharmacist gives me with every prescription.

Perhaps some day. Or maybe not.
Generally I agree. However, (and believe me I HATE quoting Reagan) "Trust, but verify." I had one doctor prescribe a drug, took one pill, and 4 hours later I was 10X worse, I would have been suicidal if I wasn't aware it was the drug. Call ER. "Stop taking that drug." Never went back to that doctor. Years later I mentioned the incident to a different doctor, and they said, "Oh yes, that is quite common with that class of drug, getting worse for a time before getting better." and this was known long before the previous incident. Borderline malpractice that I wasn't warned. Years later (last year) having a lot of emotional sleep disturbances, doctor (neuro), recommended a benzodiazepine. This time I look it up. VALIUM. Tons of red flags, addictive, short-term use only. Stevie Nicks was prescribed it by a psychiatrist after she had totally kicked cocaine in order to "stay off", she said the addiction to valium was worse than the cocaine*. Spoke to two different doctors, PC and (different) neuro, both thought that was a really bad recommendation.

I'm not saying this forum is the correct place for medical advice. But looking up a drug or treatment on the internet, before taking said drug or starting treatment, starting first with wikipedia and respected websites like Mayo Clinic and others, is a damned good idea these days.

* https://www.newsweek.com/stevie-nick...ddiction-67619

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-17-24 at 01:05 AM.
Likes For Duragrouch: