Old 04-17-24, 08:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked 2,507 Times in 1,472 Posts
Personally, I find zone 3 sort of a happy spot. In zone 3, I ride faster, and although the effort feels sort of hard, it is not as awful as zone 4 and above and not much different from zone 2. And I get to my goal distance faster or turn around point faster. Zone 2 seems more boring.

Many times consensus data is very accurate. I am sure RChung can comment on this.

By consensus (BF consensus), I mean that to build mitochondria (genesis) one has to ride long hours. This favors zone 2 riding. Zone 4 and above generate more mitochondria and mitochondria enzymes and turns on genes but generates more fatigue. Zone 3 is over too fast i.e. the mitochondria meter does not run long enough.

Conclusion: Long z2 rides build the number of mitochondria and zone 4 and above bulks them up. Zone 3 is a meh and may over a long period of time cause one to get slower - too much time in a happy spot causes malaise, genes turn off and mitochondria reduce their numbers: think plateau. And one could just ride zone 4 and above and metabolically do great and generate and bulk up mitochondria. Alas, one generates too much fatigue, burns a lot of muscle glycogen per hour and does not get enough saddle time to support one's weight and posture on the bike for any substantial goal distance.

Last edited by Hermes; 04-17-24 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For Hermes: