View Single Post
Old 04-18-24, 07:14 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Unfortunately the seller didn't know what they were doing and just decided to go crazy. Hopefully the rim is fine and it very well could be but I would have a trusted mechanic take a look at it just to make sure and maybe before hand file the hole and remove any burrs.

If it is approved then I would put a Schrader to Presta rim adaptor like this: https://wheelsmfg.com/pss-1.html or see if your shop has one of the jam nuts that does nearly the same thing but threads on and you will be fine.

It is a shame people don't understand inner tubes and think that Schrader is some how better or they just refuse to get the correct pump (which they likely need anyway) and just learn how to pump their tires properly. A gas station is the worst place to fill a high pressure low volume bicycle tire because car tires are very low pressure and high volume.

If you do decide to stick with Schrader again still have your mechanic check it out after you have filed and removed any burrs. You shouldn't need any extra tape or anything you want a nice smooth hole that you can run your finger around because if not you will likely abrade the tube and the valve stem and cause more flats.
Yeah I bought some small files and tried to file it smooth. It's smoothER, but I don't really know how smooth it needs to be. I think the hardware you linked makes sense, may just go to the LBS and see if they have a set.