Old 04-19-24, 08:44 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 423 Posts
Retrofriction: care and feeding

Just reinstalled a set of Spidel-branded Retrofriction DT levers, first time I have encountered Retrofriction ever. Unlike the rest of the bike, I did not break them down to the smallest part, it did not seem needed. Right now they seem to be shifting well (actuating the SunPlex derailleurs I showed in another topic), as least as good as any other DT levers. Not what I was expecting, they do not seem all that different. Do I need to lube or adjust in any way?

These are braze-on, by the way. When I removed them, I found a tiny clear plastic "o-ring" on the center screw, looking close it's kinda conical in shape... and only on the NDS. Should I be worried there's non on the DS? If so, is that item unobtanium? To my eye, it looks like a bit intended to keep the shifters together in shipping, maybe not part of the system (looking at various Retrofriction exploded diagrams on the forum in multiple topics I'm checking, this is not pictured). And, compared to Campy DT and many other branded, there is no wing nut on the mounting screw. Don't worry about it? Or remove the screw and add LocTite?

I'd say that, if they continue to function as they do right now, the bike's owner should be happy with the results -- but?