View Single Post
Old 04-21-24, 11:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4889 Post(s)
Liked 4,053 Times in 2,627 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
36/40 was a typical touring combo, BITD. A popular touring rim was the Weinmann concave rim. Not easy to clean, but very strong. NOS examples do pop up from time to time, but I wouldn't mind a used set in good condition.

I have two sets of 36/40 touring wheels. Both with Maxi-car hubs. One is laced to Mavic Module 4 rims, the other to a set of Super Champion Model 58's. Lovely, but harder to find.
A very strong rim. And probably the stiffest side-to-side ever made. (I had a fellow sprinter take 8 consecutive right spokes out of my front wheel in a town line spring. Wheel still ran through the fork and I rode the bike to a stop. Replaced the spokes and it was like brand new. Yes,the tire did scrub the fork paint to bare metal but on the inside where it was near impossible to see. Summer of '79 on my brand new Mooney,)

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Velocity Fusion is also available in 36 and 40 hole drilling.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/fusion-622
I meet the Velocity crew at the Portland bike show. Asked them about sewup rims. They had one as I recalled but encouraged me to call them if I had questions. Struck me as being a passionate bunch in a small company that wants to get their rims out there. Like they'd welcome a call from you. I've been riding their Aero rims for years. Joys to build, last a long time and stay true. Clean up easily. Not the structural fortresses of the Weinmann Concave but still, denting one hitting a rock or pothole is something I haven't managed yet and they are my preferred city/commute/winter rim so they hit plenty.
Likes For 79pmooney: