View Single Post
Old 04-23-24, 01:25 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 1,195 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey;[url=tel:23221743
23221743[/url]]I've been looking into rebuilding those wheels, the old Dura Ace-hubbed ones that came on the Ritchey back when it was new. I just did a spin test on them, and the bearings are running super smooth, even after 28 years, so it's a shame not to!. Choosing Sapim Race spokes, and brass nipples, it's $100 just for those. I already have a pair of Velocity A23 rims. I need spoke prep, a cheap cordless screwdriver, and a tension meter. That all adds up to ANOTHER $100. And that's about what the rims cost. Now I remember why I bought the Fulcrums that I ended up putting on the Litespeed. They cost less than rebuilding on those hubs!

Right now, the Ritchey's running a pair of old Performance "Titan" wheels which I think cost < $200 BITD. I believe they're actually Neuvations. They're okay. But I feel like the Ritchey really deserves those Dura Ace hubs.
Well you know you don’t have to be so hoity toity. You could use straight gage spokes, and even galvanized, to keep the price down.