View Single Post
Old 04-23-24, 04:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3305 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Nice, bike. Congrats!

I still encourage you to put on the 28 mm GP 5000 tires. At a speed of 20 MPH, you would save around 20 W of power running GP 5000 S TR versus the Bontrager R3s (if that's what came with your bike). You'd definitely notice the better rolling resistance.

But if you run those Bontragers a bit, get a feel for them and note your ride speeds, and then get some GP 5000s and you'll see the difference in your data (if you measure things like that).
Well, I took your advice and installed the GP5000’s this morning, am running them with tubes until Amazon delivers the tubeless valves. I’ll get a few days on tubes. They measure at almost exactly 28mm wide and I was OK with 80-90 psi this morning. I am usually agnostic to road tire ride quality, but had 5000’s on my Chinese carbon. These do ride smoother and a bit quicker compared to the Bontragers. I am really loving this bike, the ride quality is remarkably smoother than an open mold carbon that I got near 9,000 miles out of. Had to watch a YT to figure out what Trek did to install the thru axles. They have a supplied lever that lives in the rear it seems. I think it can still use a 5mm hex, have to check. Rims were a bit of a pain to mount tires, not sure I want to do it on the road, good reason to go tubeless.

Last edited by Steve B.; 04-23-24 at 05:01 PM.