Old 04-23-24, 05:56 PM
penlu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the replies!!!

Originally Posted by Harold74
Combined with a heart rate monitor, I can work out my efficiency in heart beats per joule output
Heart beats per joule seems very fun to have! I'll need to find a gym machine with a power estimate again and try to estimate this.

I am wondering how much progress you're seeing (in this metric or other figures of merit) month over month at this point. It's been fun getting faster for the past few months but I imagine my rate of change will decrease in not too long. What does asymptotic progress look like?

Originally Posted by force10
Power meters allow for accurate (structured) training. It sounds like you arent there yet - there are a lot of fitness gains to be made by just riding at the beginning. A quality heart rate monitor and head unit would be a lot more affordable and you will still want them after getting a power meter anyway.

I wouldnt spend more than a something like quarter of the value of a bike on a power meter - and then only if I intended to actually use it to train. Training, while rewarding in its way, isnt exactly the same sort of "fun" that regular riding is. When you are ready/able to upgrade your bike, maybe then it would be worth seeing if any used ones that fit your needs come with a PM.

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
If you have a reason or desire to measure it, there's the tool. Most folks don't need or care.
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I would suggest that, as a noob, you focus on getting out riding and having fun - power will come - with or without a meter.
I'll be recalling these reasons not to buy next time I'm looking at meters on eBay...! Overall it sounds like a power meter would indeed be more helpful for a more serious rider than I am. I guess I'll revisit the question once I start thinking about a bike upgrade and/or I stop getting faster. I do have a chest strap heart rate monitor already, which together with GPS makes it easy to see that I'm still improving considerably even week over week.