Old 04-23-24, 11:39 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

Thanks. Funny, the small bubble fairing I vaguely recall is not present in either photo. Maybe I'm thinking of seeing it on a different bike, probably. Now, the full-faired one, I was not aware that Doug Milliken was part of that. Could be a different person, but my guess is that is the son of William Milliken (not the governor of Michigan), who together co-authored Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, an outstanding introduction to automotive vehicle dynamics, everything also applies to normal passenger cars as well.

A year after that Moulton, Fast Freddy Markham did 65 mph on the Gold Rush Racer by Gardner Martin (recumbent).

By the way, can't recall where I read it, but the original (non-space frame) Moulton "shopper", had a simple rear rubber suspension; When the design was later produced by a major maker, they eliminated that for cost and perhaps weight, but didn't grasp how much that reduced shock (peak) loads into the frame, and they started busting frames in the field left and right. Even a small amount of wheel travel to spread load energy over longer time, makes a huge difference in fatigue loads and durability.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-23-24 at 11:48 PM.