Old 04-24-24, 11:05 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by ta111
I've been thoroughly enjoying my 2020 Grand Canyon AL 6.0 MTB, but lately, I've been using it more for fitness rides on roads and gravel paths. To optimize it for speed, I'm planning some modifications and would love your input.
ITYF yours is a 2019, the 2020 was 1x.
Originally Posted by ta111
First up, I'm looking to swap out the tires to ones better suited for faster surfaces. (probably Continental Race King)

Secondly, I'm considering upgrading the crankset to support higher speeds. Currently, I've got the SHIMANO DEORE XT HOLLOWTECH II MTB Crankset 2x11-speed with a 36-26 chainring setup. My idea is to replace the larger 36-tooth chainring with a 38-tooth one while keeping the smaller 26-tooth for those challenging uphill sections.

Has anyone tried a similar modification? Will the 38-tooth chainring work well with the 26-tooth one, or am I better off considering a different setup?
I don't think you'll notice a difference* between 36 and 38 teeth, and shifting may suffer because chainrings are designed as matched sets - the ramps and cutaways may not line up. I'd be looking at 40 or 42 teeth for a noticeable improvement, or you could just train for faster pedaling. You should fit a longer chain if you fit a larger ring - you must be able to run the largest sprocket amd the big ring without locking up the derailleurs or breaking the chain.

If you haven't already gone tubeless, that can be worth a few watts regardless of the tyre.

* 36 to 38 is 5.6% while 11 to 12 is 9%