View Single Post
Old 04-24-24, 12:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8393 Post(s)
Liked 9,305 Times in 4,566 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Ride was good. Luckily, 5 of the riders took a different route so the rest of us were mostly cohesive. I still had to break us into two a few times on busy roads, but it was all good.

I dropped the Saturn off at the shop before the ride for what may be its last oil change. I mentioned the shudder and they checked some codes and told me likely suspect is EGR valve but would cost some $$$$ to run the full diagnostic. Since the car is working reasonably well and will not pass next inspection at end of the year, I chose to skip that for now.
Does it have an EGR valve like this?

If it does the only way it could affect the idle is if it is stuck open. If it's stuck open either there is a piece of carbon lodged in the pintle or carbon has built up on the pintle preventing it from closing. Take it off and look at it. You might need a new gasket if you do.

If it has failed closed or will not operate it will have no affect on the idle.

Also, just because it has an EGR code doesn't necessarily mean there is something currently wrong with the EGR. Nor does it mean the EGR is the cause of your issue. It's pretty simple to remove the valve, though.

1994-1999 Saturn SW2 EGR Valve - Standard Motor Products EGV544T - - PartsGeek.com