View Single Post
Old 04-24-24, 12:51 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Liked 162 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by swampyankee2
There's a mid 70s (?) Grand Sports for sale near me and if i could get it for $100, would it be worth upgrading the Simplex derailleurs to make it a good rider? I understand the GS was a step above the Supercourse so it should have a decent frame. I'm looking to replace a Dawes Galaxy that unfortunately was too tall for me.

Originally Posted by romperrr
Definitely worth upgrading as long as it fits you. Looks like a full 531 frame with a salvageable brooks in lovely white and blue livery. These bikes have great sport-touring geometry
yes, the Dawes was 23" frame - 33" standover. I lived with it for awhile but getting older and less steady so a smaller frame is necessary. Just eyeballing the pic, by the size of the headstock it looks smaller. But its local so i can just go look.
the Dawes came with Simplex and I swapped it out for some period Huret stuff I had laying around. I'd want to do better than that for this bike if it fits.