View Single Post
Old 04-24-24, 12:51 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by swampyankee2
There's a mid 70s (?) Grand Sports for sale near me and if i could get it for $100, would it be worth upgrading the Simplex derailleurs to make it a good rider? I understand the GS was a step above the Supercourse so it should have a decent frame. I'm looking to replace a Dawes Galaxy that unfortunately was too tall for me.

Originally Posted by romperrr
Definitely worth upgrading as long as it fits you. Looks like a full 531 frame with a salvageable brooks in lovely white and blue livery. These bikes have great sport-touring geometry
yes, the Dawes was 23" frame - 33" standover. I lived with it for awhile but getting older and less steady so a smaller frame is necessary. Just eyeballing the pic, by the size of the headstock it looks smaller. But its local so i can just go look.
the Dawes came with Simplex and I swapped it out for some period Huret stuff I had laying around. I'd want to do better than that for this bike if it fits.