sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by penlu
I'm the noob -- in just the past few months I've started to go out longer and try harder, and I've gotten a lot faster (though I am still very slow). Power numbers are ubiquitous in training and biking discussion, so naturally I'm curious to see how I measure up. But even a used power meter would be more expensive than my bike by far.

I guess the question is: at what point does a power meter become useful? (Or a real head unit for that matter.) Who doesn't need a power meter?
A lot of great responses, so I figured I'd just share my opinion with the caveat that it is only that: an opinion, which is one of many.

Like most things in cycling (and life in general), when a pm becomes useful is dependent on your goals. If your goal is general fitness and just getting out regularly, you almost certainly don't need a power meter. If your goal is to track progress and become stronger/better/faster etc, then a power meter is quite valuable, but not the only tool you could use to do this. In fact, there are other tools and metrics that have worked for years, including among pros that could work instead and are more financially viable:
  1. Training with a heart rate monitor can be used to structure your training w/ intervals, similar to a power meter.
  2. Training to time trial: work on improving speed over selected distances, and use time as your metrics.
  3. Training for distance: simply "chamois-time". just work on spending more and more distance and time in the saddle, and have faith your fitness will improve (if you're consistent, it will).
Personally? my favorite has been the power meter, but that's just me. It fits my lifestyle and goals. It is pricey, but it's an upfront cost largely, like a start-up cost that you only pay once and it pays back over time. But it's important to consider this option within the range of other options you could use to achieve fitness goals.

Hope that helps!
Likes For sir_crash_alot: