View Single Post
Old 04-25-24, 02:21 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Seriously, when was the last time you were in a Box Store, or anyplace bigger than a Tattoo Parlor where you could actually see what was going on outside? If my shopping someplace was contingent on me (or uninterested third parties) being able to continually monitor the theft status of my bike outside, it simply would not be worth it. If a U-Lock costing around 10% of the value of your bike is not sufficient protection to keep it safe, then ... its really too unsafe to ride a bike there to shop. Simple as that. We don't HAVE to always ride you know. It is a choice. One I choose to make, knowing the risks. Indeed, "where are you going with this"? Maybe you are trying to make a case for business establishments bringing back glass storefronts? <shrug>
Almost all of the places i shop at have windows in the front: The doctor, the dentist, the supermarket, Walgreens, the Farm store, the sub shop, the bike shop, health food store, on and on.
A prominently-placed bike rack that is permanently fixed to the ground would be a very effective placement to make thieves think twice. Although a guard may not be stationed at the window, or even security cameras, a would-be thief does not know for sure that no one is watching, and with cell phones everywhere, a customer in their car could see something and make a call.
My town is not too small, 20,000 people, but we have a moderate, kind of quaint downtown. It sounds like you are in a city or up near a highway somewhere.