I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Has anyone been successful in convincing a local business to install a secure (not portable) bike rack that can be seen clearly from the shop-front window? The absence of these is a major "black hole" in the thinking of those who do not ordinarily shop on a bicycle. I have called a couple businesses, who have "taken it under advisement" or some-such.
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
A prominently-placed bike rack that is permanently fixed to the ground would be a very effective placement to make thieves think twice.
Why do you place so much emphasis/importance on the permanent fixing of a bike rack that is meant to secure bikes only while customers are shopping inside? Do you really believe that it is likely that thieves are about to walk of with the bike rack too while the bicyclist is shopping?

It will add unnecessary expenses for installation and may involve possible zoning/code/insurance complications and create a permanent obstacle in front of the store to include cleaning the sidewalk of snow even when few if any bicyclists will be using it. I suggest that you drop your unreasonable permanent fixing requirements to your request if you want to convince a local business of the soundness of your "good idea."