View Single Post
Old 04-25-24, 07:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4553 Post(s)
Liked 6,512 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Yep me too, I'm a greaser who has never owned a torque wrench. I use a ratchet wrench most often but it's the same length as a peanutbutter, just a bit more comfy on the hand so I might get them a bit tighter than most people would with a PB wrench. I don't re-tighten them after riding, it's set-and-forget until the next servicing. My cranks stay on and don't split or get wallowed out. When I was racing I trained and raced in all weather, so my NR BB bearings got repacked on the regular, lots of removal/re-installs, so if I was doing damage to my cranks, I would have noticed it. Oh and I probably did my first in about 1971, a tad more years than Steel Charlie . Some of those years I was a paid wrench at a LBS.

I'm not trying to get anyone else to do it my way, I just know what works for me.
All pretty much the same here and never owned the PBW but did repack the BB at least 3-4 times a year with the PDX rain, never had any problems at all going on 50 years now.