View Single Post
Old 04-25-24, 11:31 PM
Duragrouch

Liked 588 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Carbon fiber composite is easier to repair than steel, and much easier to repair than aluminum.
As someone who has repaired fiberglass layups with a bare minimum of materials, I would kinda agree. However, some bikes shops will treat a bike with a damaged carbon frame as persona non grata (to work on *anything*) unless repaired by recognized experts in carbon repair, and based on other threads, I think there are only a small handful. Calfee is one.

Steel, on the other hand, can find competent repair in most cities, and was the gold standard for overseas expeditions, as there are competent steel welders and brazers even in the third world.

Aluminum welding is becoming increasingly common, and the bike industry has mostly shifted from 6061-T6 which required post-weld heat-treating, to 7005 which does not. However with really thin-wall aluminum tubes on race bikes (I can elastically dent them by pushing on the top tube with my thumb), welding may be tricky.

A minor dent in a steel or aluminum frame tube is usually non-critical. Some bends can be straightened. Serious ultimate failures are usually of a non-catastrophic failure mode. Carbon fiber doesn't dent or deform plasticly, and is usually minimum thickness on bike frames, so the same impact often results in a soft spot or cracking. Might not be critical, but will be considered as such by many bike shops. Serious failures are often catastrophic, completely coming apart. I wish that were not true, because I would like to lighten my bike with it, it's becoming affordable.

EDIT: Sorry I got into the weeds on frame materials, when this is about wheels. But I think a repair to a carbon wheel may be even more tricky and critical, than a carbon fiber frame. Then again, serious damage, even a small fatigue crack on an aluminum rim means the rim is a dead parrot. So perhaps a carbon rim will be more durable.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-26-24 at 02:52 AM.