View Single Post
Old 04-26-24, 12:08 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
The Park Tool chart that I printed a while back says 312-324 inch-pounds for Campy square taper cranks. That equates to 26-27 foot-pounds. The specs for other brands are about the same, but my torque wrench only goes to 250 inch-pounds so that's the number I use.
I would suggest to you that 300 inch / lb is too much torque for Campy cranks. I believe you are at risk of splitting the arms at that torque level.

Campy arms are quite soft and just blindly following "the torque spec" may not be the way to go. That said, I'd suggest no more than 240-260 in lb.for the "classic" NR / SR arms. Newer ones a bit more.

for Shimano square taper cranks, 280 - 300 in lb is fine.

An important mechanical skill is to develop a feel for when the "running torque" rises to a stall level, not just relying on when the torque wrench clicks. This "feel" is important when threading spark plugs into Porsche cylinder heads for example. Strip out a spark plug hole and it's engine out and the heads come off.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912: