View Single Post
Old 04-28-24, 09:41 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
USB cables (like RS232 cables) were designed primarily for data transfer, and using them for charging and powering devices has always been a secondary application.

Wireless data transfer is the default on my Edge 530. Over 90% of the time that I use a USB cable, it is to charge the device, rather than transfer data (and I probably do that more than many users). The upgrade on the 540 (and others in the current generation) to USB-C is because it is a better standard for powering and charging devices. The fact that it is vastly better for wired data transfer (which is why Apple was an early adopter) is a secondary concern for most users, but the fact that the same cable could charge all of your devices, transfer data to your hard drive, power and drive your computer monitors, etc. is a huge plus. The physical dimensions of the USB-C cable ends might make them stick around awhile. Presumably the EU forcing Apple and others to make it the standard charger for all devices is based on such arguments.

At least if it is changed in the next 5, 10 or 20 years, it is less likely to be on a whim.

I think the only reason it hasn't replaced HDMI (which would be a vast improvement) in AV applications is that the digital copyright police don't want to lose control.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 04-28-24 at 09:45 AM.