Old 05-01-24, 10:11 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
No, not true. Where is your evidence? Your analysis is wrong.

If I were to take your advice, I would be riding on 1/2 inch less wide. tire that were less stable and less comfortable. In two or three years I should see some signs or harm or feel something is wrong, but I don't.

It is a myth.
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
That is true. There's also more of a bending angle between the tire bead and the sidewall (even when just rolling straight), which can prematurely fatigue that area.

Some things may not be hard rules, but still, "best practices".
Originally Posted by Jipe
Indeed, the narrow rim changes the tire profile to a round shape.

If the rim is really narrow, this round shape only rest on the rim on a small part of the round and when cornering, there is big lateral tire shape deformation (the tire is pushed on one side of the rim) which is even bigger if the tire pressure is low.
I question this. The tire contains the air, but it is the air, not the tire, that supports the bike.

One of the negatives I have noticed about putting "too wide" tires on narrow rims, is that they are harder to fit. We don't know, at least I don't why they have the limitations on narrowness. As in my reference, I can see why they have the limitations on the wide side.