View Single Post
Old 05-01-24, 02:41 PM
2muchroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

The cost of one bike over another does not always need to be justified by quantifiable performance gains.
Sure, but you explicitly stated that you ride expensive bikes because they get the most out of you in terms of physical fitness.
Followed by the assertion that you'd pay $10,000 for a bike if you could.

That's why I asked, but it's fine.
Originally Posted by Eric F
For me, my bike purchases are all about my personal enjoyment. They serve my needs for the way I want to ride, and the way I want my bike to perform. I buy bikes that are exciting to me (even just to look at), and inspire me to want to ride. My bikes excite me in the same way sports cars do. I have bought used high-end bikes because I can get a better bike (lighter, higher-quality components, better wheels) for a lot less money than buying new. This is primarily budget-driven. I have nothing against new bikes. I also could not care less about making any kind of profit, because I don't ever buy a bike with the intent to sell it.

My 3 most-ridden bikes were all purchased used, at less than half of their original cost. However, I didn't know what I didn't know about gravel bikes, so I jumped in on a used bike that was a very good deal, started to figure out what I liked and didn't like, and began replacing things. I eventually ended up replacing everything, including the frame, and spent new-bike money doing it, but I ended up with a bike that is perfect in all the little details that make a difference in my enjoyment of the ride. I don't care that I probably could have done it a cheaper way. The learning process that went on during the process is also valuable to me.
Yeah I get the personal enjoyment part, I can certainly agree with that, hypothetically.

It was your assumption about an expensive bike's performance benefits and ability to challenge oneself physically that I thought might've been a little questionable.
Do you agree with @TMonk and I that the point of diminishing returns is probably below even 5K?