Old 05-02-24, 08:41 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Winspace T1550

Liked 209 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Agree with 'Porky' and to some extent 'somewhat LOGO BLOAT'... Logos, can be and are 'design elements', but BLOAT is disconcerting and ugly - as with my 2009 Tarmac (which I dearly love... best bike ever...) which has logos on EVERY TUBE !!! one suffers ... and 'imperfect is the state of our universe - and glad for it !!! 'Wonderful' is much more important.

Weight... did some homework... because I have the option to 'return' Emonda SL5 within 30 days, full refund - Bought at our local TREK (overdone, blocky logo of no real design merit ) store.
Actual bike weight with older Ultegra SPD-SL pedals - 21.4 lbs , 9.72 Kg
so ACTUAL stock Emonda Wheel weight - both wheels, with tires, stock rotors and 11-30 105 Cassette. = 8 lbs 3.7 Kg !!!
IF I were to go with a CF wheelset of, say, 1450 g, add some good. light tires, use TPU tubes, nice rotors and the current cassette, that comes to 5.8 lbs, 2.65 Kg
so a savings of 2.2. lbs, 1 Kg
so bike weight of 19.2 lbs. , 8.7+ Kg
Pedals I have on bike, some older, heavier Ultegra SPD-SL. If I change to the Eggbeaters I mostly use - that's -100 g
so now 18.9+, 8.6 K,
Further savings could be had with a much lighter saddle - seat mast is alloy, could go to TREK CF mast = $$... CF Bar/Stem
Given this version of Hydraulic Disc is prolly 500 g additional weight over a good Rim brake system... we're still talking 8.1 ish Kg... over what was a decent rim brake weight ... in 2009...
...looking for a 17+ ish lb , 7.8 Kg Disc Bike is prolly in the $5000 - $6000 + price level....
I'm on the fence about returning and looking elsewhere...
I do like the 'fit' of the bike - so the Q is : Will the Better wheels transform the nag into a race horse ???
I have had that happen before...
Thoughts ?
Yuri
Ride On
The Emonda is a good bike don't get me wrong I just think for it's purpose it's way behind the times since it's not that aero to be considered an all arounder and not nearly as light as its competitors. Granted if the price and fit is for you than the Emonda can be a great bike and while yeah you can upgrade the wheelset and go with TPU tubes, you could have done that with any other bike like with a Canyon Ultimate or Specialized Aethos or whatever. Also I would argue to upgrade the wheelset, tubes, and tires you are looking at bare min $1K and at that point at $4500 you easily can find an entry level carbon fiber race bike with carbon wheels. I know these are hookless wheels which I am not a fan of but for $4700 a last gen Giant TCR Advanced Pro O AR with Force AXS D1 and a power meter is a great deal. I think the only true downside to this bike is the hookless wheels but even then if I were in your shoes I'd still buy it and just try and sell the wheels and just get some 9Velos or EliteWheels Drives

I just think even with the upgrades 19lbs for a entry level climbing bike even with pedals that's really heavy for a "lightweight" or "climbing" bike. Now if weight doesn't matter to you than yeah again the Emonda is a good bike but at $3500 I'd rather spend $500 more and get a Ultimate CF SL 7 Di2 18lbs or an Aethos Comp Di2 17lbs at $4000

Last edited by Jrasero; 05-02-24 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For Jrasero: