Old 05-02-24, 01:28 PM
alcjphil

Liked 1,759 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlackPumpkin
Curious on anyones thoughts on this bike. I am looking to buy my first non-entry level bike at around 2-3.5k budget. Grizl 7 is extremely attractive for a lot of reasons, I'm willing to learn and am pretty mehcanically inclined so the whole direct to consumer thing doesn't put me off too much. I have however recently heard the Canyon Grizl 7 has a plastic bottom bracket that has to replaced relatively often and not cheaply. Is this something I should actually be concerned about?

Alternatively, other suggestions? Definitely want a gravel bike, mostly riding low-moderate intensity trails and want to use it for paved as well. It's also worth mentioning I'll be riding at around 300 lbs. I realize this is over most rated limits, in my experience (started riding at 550) that's not typically an issue on frames if you ride carefully and you know, don't violently crash. I also have a set of 36 spoke 650b velocity Dyads that would be nice to be able to use on whatever I buy as well, but I realize that may not be viable on whatever bike I end up with

When I decided to buy a gravel bike I wanted to go with one that has plenty of tire clearance. The grizl comes equipped with 700 x 45 tires and has room for even wider. At 160 pounds, my weight isn't any sort of problem. The bike was very easy to set up, I only had to make small tweaks to derailleur adjustment, and setting up tubeless only took me about 20 minutes. Fun bike to ride, I ended up riding it more than I thought I might. when I bought it, Covid was at its height and wait times were reasonable. As far as your weight goes, I would worry less about the frame and more about whether the wheels are up to your weight

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-02-24 at 01:32 PM.