Thread: Small bike?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-24, 10:49 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Liked 258 Times in 157 Posts
Here is something I'd like to add to this discussion.It's about bicycle size as they relate to wheel size. The premise is that larger wheels lead to larger frames, more weight and less nimbleness in handling. Granted if the focus is on rolling over obstacles, bumps, potholes, higher speeds, the larger the diameter wheel, the better. Here the Grand Bi (Penny farthing) will be at an advantage. On the other hand it you have other criteria, you would prefer something else. In the use scenario of the original poster, I noted that weight (body and bicycle) and size are important. I wonder if anything larger than 24 inch wheels would be the best solution. The problem is the easy availability in North-America of a "best" option. Yes we can look at an XXS bike frame with smaller wheel replacements but this like putting smaller wheels an SUV. It won't make into a smaller car. As a comparison here is a picture of one of my non folding adult 20 inch wheel bike. Notice the difference between the other two bikes (theirs are e-bikes). The cyclists were both about my size 5'5''. Their tires are 700c. Notice the saddles and handle bar height are almost the same as well as the distance between the two. My solution works for me, at a higher cost. I wonder if others are not given more options just because the industry decided to limit the availability of wheel size options. BTW, yes I'm an advocate for smaller wheels and more size options.

Last edited by jfouellette; 05-05-24 at 11:09 AM.