Old 05-11-24, 08:25 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 534 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I also use photocromic lenses with bifocal inserts which are removable. Getting custom lenses for the inserts was cheap because declined all the special treatments and coatings. Thought it would screw up my distance vision while riding but made distance and close much better and no issues with the line between the two.
From another "Readers" thread:

Stick-on readers!
I've been using stick-on readers on my cycling glasses for years. (I have a prescription insert, just for my distance vision, with a +2 stick-on for reading the Garmin or my phone. I have progressive bifocal glasses off the bike.)

Hydrotac is one brand. I cut one lens in half with a razor knife, then moved it around a little, then trimmed it some more until it was right. It sticks on with a drop of water, and won't come off, even rinsing under the faucet. I could peel it off with a fingernail. I've had these same stick-ons for at least 6 years now, and even transferred them to my new distance insert.

So just the handbar area is in close focus, perfect!

Riding glasses, with prescription insert, with reader stick-on:

~~~~~~~~~~~
I originally had prescription inserts that were distance only, and didn't need bifocals then.

Years later, I finally got progressive glasses for non-bike use. I tried out the stick-ons with my older inserts, and they worked great. I liked the extra small patch of close vision, just covering the handlebars.

Later, I wanted new updated bike inserts that had bifocals ground into them, but they couldn't do a small area bifocal. So I kept the stick-ons. It's still the original set! Maybe 15 years of use now.
Likes For rm -rf: