Old 03-30-06, 09:27 AM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
It does include a health club membership and locker rental fees (~$800/yr so I can shower off when I get to work and have a safe place to keep my bike)
Ouch! I was really lucky to be able to keep the bike in my office... As for showering... who needs showering?

as well as money travelling to or participating in organized rides.
Ah, that! Now, that's an expenditure indeed. But this is not in spirit of true cycling: you don't drive to ride, that just doesn't make sense.

However, most of the stuff was really mundane. There was over $400 in tires and tubes alone
Holy cow, how many flats DO you get?? And how many sets of tires do you go through in a season??

Not trying to be a smart ass or make you feel bad or anything, I am just amazed at how much can be spent on a bike. I spend probably around thirty Canuck bucks a season for tubes and 0 for tires.. 0 for club memberships, 0 for participating in organized rides (I don't), maybe up to a hundred or two total for all the other items (lubes, chains, clothes etc.), probably less... But it's true that I haven't been riding much lately. I mean, I do my around-town commuting by bike, but no really long rides. I think if I decide to do some touring this summer, I'll need a new bike or some serious modifications made to one of my current bikes. That will cost big $$$. And then there will the energy bar costs... wow, that adds up.